I’m watching a massive band of thunder storms track across the state and wondering whether we’ll lose power (or in classic North Dakota fashion even experience the storm! ND is one of these strange states where you can look at radar and see you’re in the middle of storm or a blizzard and look out the window and see blue skies!). In any event, it feels like summertime on the Northern Plains.
The weekend should be a nice with temperatures in the low 80s and plenty of sun. I’m hoping this nice weather brings luck to my Sixers tonight as they take on the Atlanta Hawks in game three of the Eastern Conference semifinals and my Phillies as they prepare for a West Coast trip with a two game series against the Yankees juggernaut. Saturday night is a packed card featuring Shakur Stevenson’s title defense at 130, which should be just a step below “must see” for boxing fans. The NASCAR guys are doing their annual All Star snooze fest in Texas.
With such an uneven calendar of weekend sporting events, I hope to get out for a vigorous bike ride and maybe a less vigorous jog as well as continuing to spend some quality time with a couple books.
For your weekend reading pleasure, here are some quick hits and varia:
- Gennadius inscription in Athens.
- Roman Roads & Milestones of Asia Minor.
- Land use, climate change and ‘boom-bust’ in the Peloponnese.
- The Enduring Myths of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- White Supremacy and Medieval Studies.
- Identifiers and Object Life Histories.
- Open Syllabus Project.
- Digital Humanities at UND.
- ND Boomtowns.
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic True Second In Stainless Steel.
- LS3/5 with integrated subwoofer.
- What I am reading: Walter Scheidel, Escape from Rome: The Failure of Empire and the Road to Prosperity. Princeton 2019.
- What I’m listening to: Jack Brandfield, I’ll Never be the Same.