It’s finally Friday in what felt like a long week despite being a short one. I have a few little projects that I need to finish today which will lift a bit of weight from my shoulders. I also have a few larger projects that will reward some attention this weekend, including putting North Dakota Quarterly 88.1/2 in order.
That said, I’m also pretty intrigued to watch the NASCAR guys on the Daytona road course on Sunday (it’s as close as we get to V8-Supercar racing in the US). I’m excited to watch the Sixers play tonight on national television. But most, I’m counting down the hours to the Miguel Berchelt – Oscar Valdez fight on Saturday night. It’s obvious premature and inappropriate to make such comparisons, but it’s also hard to avoid seeing the similarities to the great Morales-Barrera fights of the early-2000s. If Berchelt-Valdez is half as good as any one of those fights, it’ll be worth staying up to watch it.
My list of quick hits and varia is a bit thin this week, but I like to think that its filled with things worth reading!
- Athens in the snow.
- Changing Classics to Save Classics? A View from Below.
- ICYMI: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
- Roman Economic Well-Being and the Reframing of Roman History.
- A new issue of Flyway.
- From the NDQ archives.
- I like the Mars Rover logo.
- A boat on a canal.
- Again: just take my money.
- Universal Genève Tri-Compax Ref. 222100-1.
- What I’m reading: Renee Gladman, Event Factory.
- What I’m listening to: Archie Shepp and Jason Moran, Let my People Go.