It’s mosquito season here in North Dakotaland and even simple pleasures like walking the dogs or having a beer in the backyard become devolve into feeding frenzies for our thirsty friends.
To be honest, it’s a bit of blessing because this is a hectic weekend. I’m starting to feel the looming semester as well as the pressure to complete a few projects that had plenty of time around them just a bit earlier this summer. If you check back on the blog next week, there might even be a bit of a sneak peak!
There are also some enjoyable distractions this weekend with Formula 1 back in Austria for the second race of their double header, test cricket, and NASCAR all tempting me to my comfy chair for a few hours. Here’s something that I wrote about the England – West Indies Test.
Hopefully your weekend has some time on comfy chairs or outside or doing whatever brings you joy!
Here are this week’s quick hits and varia:
- Open Letters are coming thick and fast this summer. Here are three more:
- AHA Letter Opposing New ICE Obstacles to Students from Foreign Countries
- SCS Board Endorses Letter to ICE on Visa Exemptions
- A Letter on Justice and Open Debate
- America’s international students are facing deportation. This is a disaster.
- Famine and Plague in Byzantium Seminar in Ankara on the Zooms: Here’s some of what I think I know about the topic.
- Intersectional Orientalism and Sexism in a Museum Exhibition.
- William Sanders Scarborough Fellowship Fund.
- Who Writes about Archaeology? An Intersectional Study of Authorship in Archaeological Journals
- Materiality and memory of ancient Near Eastern inscribed private objects.
- A good week for Shawn Graham:
- Greek Traditional Building Practices Workshop
- Hasankeyf and the Ilisu Dam.
- Acetate letters.
- Putin and Byzantium.
- Olympic Airline Museum.
- The Sage of Sorbia.
- Apparently online courses are disappointing.
- The Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Memovox.
- What I’m reading: Justin Leidwanger, Roman Seas:A Maritime Archaeology of Eastern Mediterranean Economies (2020).
- What I’m listening to: Cloud Nothings, The Black Hole Understands.