Time passes strangely in these days of COVID-19. No sports to absorb surplus time. No face-to-face conversations with students and colleagues. No bustling restaurant meals and interrupted conversations with bartenders.
For us, here in Grand Forks County, North Dakota, things could be much worse. There are still no reported cases here and the empty streets seem to suggest that people are taking calls to stay at home seriously.
For my friends in more challenging locations, please stay safe, healthy, and at home.
And, if it helps, here’s a little gaggle of quick hits and varia:
- What Men Can Learn From Mary, Mother of Jesus.
- The true cost of museum fakes.
- Sickness and Disease in Early America.
- What do we teach now?
- Various Statements
- A Look at 10-Day Trends in Academic Library Response to COVID19.
- Mediterranean radiocarbon offsets and calendar dates for prehistory.
- A New Book on J.B. Jackson
- The End.
- More free books:
- Care in Uncertain Times: Free Downloads from Duke University Press.
- Free books for University of Arizona Press.
- The National Emergency Lending Library at the Internet Archive.
- Sarah Bond’s Trade and Taboo Disreputable Professions in the Roman Mediterranean (2016).
- If you’ve been meaning to download Karl Jakob Skarstein, The War with the Sioux: Norwegians against Indians 1862-1863 from The Digital Press at the University of North Dakota, do it now before it goes out of print!
- If you like books and local book sellers, support BINC.
- Father John Misty is raising money for The Recording Academy’s MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund.
- Tom Isern’s Writing Journal.
- Poets on Couches.
- What I’m reading: Reza Negarestani’s Cyclonopedia: complicity with anonymous materials (2008)
- What I’m listening to: Waxahatchee, Saint Cloud.