The rain is going to give way for nice fall weather this weekend which means that I’ll have to mow the lawn, but also that the dogs might get extra long walks. (I might even get a nice run in this afternoon, if such a thing is possible!).
I wish I could say the same about the weather today in Manchester (or Man’ster as we call it in our house) where the 4th Test of the Ashes is supposed to be happening. It will be a shame if Steve Smith’s heroic 211 will be in a draw. Fortunately, with the Phillies season over, I can devote my attention to the start of the NFL season, my Buckeyes, Spiders, and even the Fighting Hawks as they take on I-29 rivals NDSU this weekend. Formula 1 is at the amazing Monza and the Cup guys are at Indy for their annual snoozefest.
I also have a stack of good things to read for North Dakota Quarterly and an article draft to finish. Hopefully this little gaggle of quick hits and varia helps make your weekend as nice as mine is shaping up to be.
- The end of the Roman Empire wasn’t that bad (other than the plagues, wars, and poverty).
- A late basilica on Kythnos.
- Homeric Cocktails.
- A podcast on ancient mercenaries.
- ASOR is looking for a new BASOR editor.
- AIA is looking for submissions for their Outstanding Work in Digital Archaeology award.
- Western Argolid Regional Project Report (with bonus watch reference).
- The Risks of Being World Heritage.
- Talking about The Beast.
- A Nation of Nations.
- Protesting Elsevier.
- Libraries and Publishers.
- Active Learning.
- Rocky Mountain Audiofest.
- Olde Skool Bloggers who are still at it.
- Read these poems.
- What I’m reading: Sarah Maza, Thinking about History. Chicago 2017.
- What I’m listening to: Lana Del Rey, Norman Fucking Rockwell.