If you’re a Grand Forkler and plan to drink beer and eat bacon this weekend, be sure to head over to Ojata Records afterward for some the punk rock music, conversation, and free gifts at our Punks in the Trump Era event. Here’s more info on that!
To avoid jinxing them, I’m not going to post anything about my Philadelphia Eagles this weekend, comment on my underdog Spiders stirring victory (in an otherwise forgettable season) over crosstown rival VCU, or Joel Embiid’s dominating performance against the hated Celtics last night, his being named a start to the All-Star Game, or his dissing of Rihanna in national TV.
To keep things on lockdown, here are some quick hits and varia:
- Nashville’s Parthenon and race.
- Is Classics Classist? Or not?
- The Rise of the Machine: Tablets and Recording at Çatalhöyük.
- Euripides, Iphigenia and Syrian refugees.
- Conviviality and Life of the Soil.
- From Skaramagas Dock.
- A tribute to Mark Whittow.
- Mediterranean pollution and land reclamation in Lebanon.
- Dimitri Nakassis and an Allstar cast talk about race. (The Earl Grey Tea based cocktail is a historically interesting complement!)
- Graphic Signs of Identity, Faith, and Power.
- The Byzantine Harbor at Constantinople for FREE.
- Font problems in The Post.
- Watch people may or may not have a sense of humor.
- An old Panerai.
- Toyota Yaris racing!
- What I’m reading: B. Latour, Facing Gaia: Eight Lectures on the New Climate Regime. (2017)
- What I’m listening to: The Mekons, Fear and Whiskey.