It is supposed to hit 80 degrees here in Grand Forks this weekend and will be only a few degrees cooler than Larnaka, Cyprus. I can’t explain how amazing these early summer days are here in the Northern Plains. Clear skies, low humidity, and pleasant breezes after the cold winter.
As I wrap up my semester, I want to remind folks to check out the little book that my graduate students prepared in the aftermath to cuts in our graduate program, Defending History: The Graduates’ Manifesto, and while you’re at it, please do check out the expanded content added to the Haunted by Waters: The Future of Memory and the Red River Flood of 1997 page at The Digital Press.
It might also be fun if you checked out these various quick hits and varia:
- From the Human Body to the Universe: Spatialities of Byzantine Culture. I’m immensely bummed that I’m missing this conference.
- Self publishing (one of the best things I’ve read on this!).
- Trump and Outrage.
- Free books from the Guggenheim.
- Blackbox is a new shipping company. It’s worth checking out because of the hat tip to Latour and the amazing graphics on their website.
- This is cool.
- Field Study Handbook.
- One-sided marriage.
- Mail order homes from Sears.
- Joel Embiid.
- What I’m reading: Richard E. Ocejo, Masters of Craft: Old Jobs in the New Urban Economy. Princeton 2017.
- What I’m listening to: I haven’t decided yet! Is there something that I absolutely MUST listen to on my flights?
Let’s get this party started!