There’s still a bit of crispness to the air here in North Dakotaland, but soggy, thawing days are promised for the weekend. The Formula 1 teams are testing, the long NASCAR season is underway, various NBA teams have begun to position themselves for the draft lottery, and summer cricket seasons in Australia has moved on to the subcontinent with the second Australia-India test. Spring break is just around the corner.
This is a good time of year.
Enjoy a little list of quick hits and varia:
- Hypatia persisted.
- An attack on the French Institute in Athens.
- Roman food at Next in Chicago.
- What happens when U.S. New and World Report ask the ancient historian about the North Dakota economy.
- Gordon Iseminger is retiring.
- My friend Becky Romsdahl on conservatives and climate change, plus an interview with Salon!
- Saving Nina Simone’s house.
- The Zip to Zap Revisited.
- What I’m reading: E. Athanassopoulos, Landscape Archaeology and the Medieval Countryside. 2016.
- What I’m listening to: Los Campesinos, Sick Scenes.