It’s a late fall Friday here in North Dakotaland, but feels a bit like October still. College baseball starts, cricket is in full swing, and the end of the NASCAR and F1 seasons signals the change of seasons as much as anything else.
So enjoy the weather these days and this little list of varia and quick hits because, as they say on the television, “winter is coming.”
- The late Leonard Cohen on Greece.
- Byzantine ecocriticism.
- The American Schools of Oriental Research annual meeting is next week. Here’s the program.
- Here’s what the new CAARI website looks like.
- Some tips for Classics graduate students (but really adaptable to all graduate students).
- Here’s a documentary on Tom McGrath’s poetry.
- Some interesting ways to talk about the Trump victory in the classroom here and here.
- Once Trump engreatens the economy, I’m going to buy myself a watch.
- And then a car driven by Sebastian Vettel or Joe Biden.
- And then go to a library where I can check out Tacitus’s Agricola.
- What I’m reading: Arlie Russel Hochschild, Strangers in their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right (New Books 2016).
- What I’m listening to: Fantastic Negrito, The Last Days of Oakland.
Letting sleeping dogs lie.