Whatever else is going on in the sporting world, it is now test cricket season in Australia. The first test match of the season started Wednesday night against a transitioning South Africa team ranking 5th in the world, and after two days of play, it looks like it’ll be a tight contest.
If cricket isn’t enough, Ohio State plays Saturday night in a game that’ll make or break their season. The Wentz wagon has plenty of room available for the Eagles’ Sunday tilt against the New York Football Giants, and the mighty Spiders and Fighting Hawks have key games for their playoff aspirations. It’ll be a good weekend for sporting!
Before my Friday list of quick hits and varia, a little advertisement. Some good PR from UND and Creighton, for the most recent book from The Digital Press at the University of North Dakota, Mobilizing the Past for a Digital Future: The Potential of Digital Archaeology.
- What antiquity can tell us about the chaos of 2016.
- Schliemann’s Wedding.
- Macedonian food.
- In Greece, property is debt.
- Anarchist Anthropology.
- Four maps:
- A map of new books at NYU’s ISAW.
- A more accurate world map.
- A No DAPL Map.
- A video atlas of Trump’s Wall.
- On blogs and web design:
- I subscribe to very few internet sites, but Kottke.org is one of them. Posts like this are why.
- Waxy redesign.
- The new look Verge.
- What do ghost hunters want?
- This is a thoughtful piece on the micro-barriers that first generation college students face. It might not be true, but it feels true to my experience.
- Clever marketing.
- On digital literacies.
- Audiophile listening cubs.
- What I’m reading: Philip K Dick, Martian Time-Slip. (1964).
- What I’m listening to: Otis Redding, Live at the Whisky A Go Go: The Complete Recordings.
Milo is trying to be cool, but really Argie is in his place on the couch.