The frog days of summer linger on, but the boys – the Mighty Milo and Eager Argie – seem to enjoy them. The semester starts next week, and, once again, I realize that the summer has slipped by without a vacation. No rest for the wicked, I guess. Fortunately, the autumn is my favorite season when NASCAR and Formula 1 race to crown champions, college and pro [American] footballing gets underway, and the boys of summer (in the land down under) get ready for their new home season. These are good times in our household.
We should also think back 154 years today to the Battle of New Ulm in the Dakota Wars. If you’re not familiar with the Battle of New Ulm, then you almost certainly should download or buy a copy of Karl Jakob Skarstein’s War with the Sioux. Don’t worry, it’s free! Or, if you have it handy, check out the review of the book in the latest issue of North Dakota History.
If you’re not up for adding another book to your reading list at this point of the year, then maybe a quicker read from my list of varia will appeal:
- Inhabiting Byzantine Athens.
- Iconoclasm and vandalism at the Getty.
- More from David Romano on human sacrifice at Mt. Lykaion.
- An olde tyme photography of the Olympic torch in Corinth in 1896 1996 (It’s like those NFL films highlights of games from 10 years ago that appear all grainy and slightly sped up…).
- When I was growing up, telling someone they had “Caryatid hair” was an insult.
- Greece, Archaeology, Democracy.
- Red River Archaeology.
- Ottoman pots.
- Being an athlete in the 21st century is cheating.
- How to email your students.
- Help with Cultural Heritage.
- Herzog on Pokemon Go!
- Seems reasonable to me.
- Beloit College Mindset List: Most college students were not alive when the 9/11 attacks happened. For the incoming class: Tony Romo has always been a “sad and washed-up NFL quarterback,” and Kanye West has always been Mr. Kardashian.
- Yes, please. If they’re on offer. (And this seems totally reasonable.)
- What I’m reading: Jason De León, The Land of Open Graves: Living and Dying on the Migrant Trail. (2015).
- What I’m listening to: Various Artists, Day of the Dead; Woods, City Sun Eater in the River of Light.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
This is not an interesting question in our house.