It’s finally Friday here in North Dakotaland. It feels like two or three weeks since the last weekend, but when I look at everything that I completed this week, it seems to confirm that last Friday was only two days ago. Funny how time is.
Despite the strangely short week, this weekend holds the promise of some excitement, including the first University of North Dakota – North Dakota State football game in 12 years, a new Keith Richards’ album (I know, right?), and the Formula 1 guys in Singapore.
So, hunker down for some footballing, blues, and Formula 1 racing, with a loyal gaggle of quick hits and varia:
- The Near Eastern Archaeology‘s Special Issue: The Cultural Heritage Crisis in the Middle East is now Open Access. Thanks ASOR!
- The Sounds of Angels Singing with Sharon Gerstel and Amy Papalexandrou.
- More from Rebecca Sweetman on Early Christian architecture in Greece. This time, it is in the American Journal of Archaeology including the first citation to my blog in that journal! Thanks Rebecca!
- An early(?) 4th century mosaic from Cyprus.
- The design for St. Nicholas’s Greek Orthodox church at Ground Zero in New York. Quite an upgrade.
- Oral history of Byzantine Studies from Dumbarton Oaks.
- Maybe the earliest born person ever filmed: a 114 year old Greek grandmother weaving.
- Check out Dallas DeForest’s irregularly updated blog (I’m not judging…) for some rebetika.
- Two nice Springsteen covers: Shawn Colvin, “Tougher than the Rest”; Low, “I’m on Fire”.
- A revered child burial from the early 8th century in Frankfurt.
- RIP Adrian Frutiger.
- What ever happened to Google Books.
- Congratulations to the fine folks at Pleiades (it’s maptastic!) for earning a major grant from the NEH!
- So, it’s problematic to start a sentence with “so”.
- Why we should fear University, Inc.
- Moneyball meets cricket.
- The history of closed colleges (or at least colleges with significant name changes).
- What I’m reading: Jonathan Crary, 24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep. (Verso 2013) … pdf here.
- What I’m listening to: Keith Richards, Crosseyed Heart; Low, Ones and Sixes.
Hangin’ with the Eli