After a sweltering week, I’m looking forward to a cooler and rainier weekend here in North Dakotaland. More than that, this is the start of college footballing season, the NASCAR boys are at Darlington, and the Formula 1 show is at Monza. Kicking the weekend off right was the Australia victory over England in the first ODI of that series.
Before the list of quick hits and varia, be sure to check out the newest book published by The Digital Press at the University of North Dakota, the first English translation of K.J. Skarstein’s The War with the Sioux translated by Melissa Gjellstad and Danielle Skjelver with new introductory material from Richard Rothaus and Dakota Goodhouse. It’s a good read and it’s free (or $12 on Amazon).
And now onto the quick hits and varia:
- There’s a new video book trailer for Eric Cline’s sensational 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed. Or you can listen to him give a talk at the Oriental Institute.
- Guy Sanders on Merbaka in the Argolid in Hesperia.
- More video: Martin Millet on Toward a New Landscape Archaeology?
- Blue pigment!
- Cypriot Reunification talks and the abandoned resort town of Varosha.
- I’m almost certain that I want to get a shipping container for my backyard writing room, guest house, hacienda (and, yes, I know that I’m using that word wrong, but it’s what I call it).
- Sheffield’s History Matters on iconoclasm in Palmyra and Cheapside.
- Reinhard in the Washington Post on the Alamogordo Atari Assemblage.
- A little Delawareana for your morning: Salesianum’s legendary football coach Dim Montero and the saving the old house at Bombay Hook.
- Go get your reprinted copy of NASA’s 1975 Graphics Standards Manual.
- Video killed the radio star (or ball point pens killed the calligraphy star).
- Bakken new: lots of empty hotel rooms and water tourism.
- Help the Tate Modern with Anotate.
- For those of you who still like science, a new blog: Noticing.
- The architecture of American houses.
- What I’m reading: S. Kaufer and A. Chemero, Phenomenology: An Introduction. (Polity 2015). A Kostis Kourelis Book Club Selection.
- What I’m listening to: Freddie Hubbard, Straight Life; All Dogs, Kicking Every Day.
The Frog Days of Summer