After a few days of springlike weather (and an almost thaw), we returning to single-digit normalcy here. That’s ok, though, because my to-do list is pretty substantial, the days are getting longer, and the coffee is warm and strong at Archaeology of the Mediterranean World Headquarters.
In other words, it’s a good time to present my weekly list of quick hits and varia:
- Former president of the Archaeological Institute of America talking about protecting cultural property in zones of armed conflict.
- Along similar lines: The Culture of War: Saving History.
- This floated across my Facebook feed (h/t to Jordan Pickett): Translation and Commentary on Books One and Two of Georgios Pachymeres.
- More from Clooney about the Parthenon Marbles.
- Along similar lines Beard on Connelly’s The Parthenon Enigma.
- Lively archaeology.
- Early Medieval burials under the Uffizi in Florence.
- Handy short list of 3D modeling tools for archaeologists.
- A Greek village with African Roots: Greek, Black, and Proud.
- Imitation halloumi under investigation in Cyprus.
- Why not to buy an ticket to Europe more than 2 months in advance.
- More on manure in an America context.
- How to build a perfect refugee camp.
- Check out the Guantánamo Public Memory Project.
- Rents in Williston.
- Despite the above, check out who is number 1 on a recent list of the top states for well-being.
- A little punk archaeology (John Stewart style) from New Jersey.
- I’m going to think more about the “slow” movement over the next six months. This is a good place to start (and here, here, and here are other points of departure).
- Along similar lines, check out this clever comic from xkcd.
- Some thoughts on the death of a snake handling pastor.
- What I’m reading: M. L. Galaty; O. Lafe; W. E. Lee; Z. Tafilica, Light and shadow : isolation and interaction in the Shala Valley of northern Albania. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology 2013.
- What I’m listening to: Angel Olson, Burn Your Fire For No Witness; Nina Simone, Sings the Blues; Nina Simone, High Priestess of Soul. (For her birthday!)
Compliments of Susie