One of the simple pleasures in my life is reading Latin with a handful of undergraduates each week at Latin Friday Morning. Good conversation, a great language, and Julius Caesar.
And another beautiful North Dakot-y sky:
Some quick hits and varia:
- Stand alone Zotero 3.0 Beta has made me fall in love with Zotero again.
- Some of William Gibson’s thoughts on cities in Scientific American.
- A gorgeous graphic history of the web.
- How Alan Lomax owns Jay-Z’s “Takeover” (h/t Brad Austin). There’s some sweet irony here when Jay-Z mocks Nas for not owning the rights to his own song:
Then I heard your album about your Tec on the dresser
So yeah, I sampled your voice
You was using it wrong
You made it a hot line
I made it a hot song
And you ain’t get a coin, nigga
You was getting fucked then
I know who I paid, God – Serchlite publishing
- Some fun thoughts on blogging as public thinking.
- Did you remember to read your Teaching Thursday yesterday?
- Some abandonment porn.
- Indiana Jones teaches real archaeology via National Geographic.
- Are research papers a waste of time?
- A cool way to map knowledge at a university.
- What I’m reading: Betsey Robinson, Histories of Peirene: A Corinthian Fountain in Three Millennia2011)
- What I’m listening to: Tinariwen, Aman Iman; Bunny Wailer, Blackheart Man.