Friday Varia and Quick Hits
February 22, 2013 § 3 Comments
It’s cold, winter, and I’m sick.
Hopefully my varia and quick hits can keep others warm and healthy.
- Web archaeology and aesthetics: Geocities.
- The Society of Architectural Historians has a blog and Kostis Kourelis is its editor. This will be awesome.
- A MOOC for freshman composition.
- Did somebody say, humanities?
- More abandonment porn: Another effort at Bunker Archaeology. I love the effect of the light on these World War II era bunkers. I want to do this with man camp trailers in the Bakken.
- Another cool architectural gif by Ben Leech.
- It’s a day for beards. First, they keep you safe (something that I have argued for years… wait until some well-known organizations that limit facial hair get sued for exposing their boys of summer to a greater risk of cancer.). The Philly beard will be the next big thing and I might just be on it.
- If I don’t understand Google Glass does that mean it’s not meant for me?
- This is a good start for Australia and for Moises Henriques’s test career. Macho innings from Warner with a broken finger, and I just didn’t realize how good Michael Clarke was until this past year.
- I am super excited to get my copy of Amalia Dillin’s debut novel (she took ancient history courses from me here at the University of North Dakota).
- Zagora from the air.
- Food: This is funny. And this is transcendently awesome. I rank having a chance to hang out with Marilyn Hagerty on a number of occasions among the coolest experiences of my life. Really.
- In Cyprus, we call it synesthesia. Recently I have good evidence that I have synamnesia: the ability to forget things in colors. Anyway, here’s your IP address in colors. Don’t blame me, it’s the internet.
- It’s a bit amazing that we need to tell people things like it’s better to exercise outdoors.
- What I’m reading: N. Gaiman, American Gods.
- What I’m listening to: Unknown Mortal Orchestra, II (which is not as good as The Meat Puppets, II); Grant Green, The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark.
Ryland Hall, University of Richmond
(Cram, Goodhue, and Ferguson; Carneal and Johnston)